Friday, September 26, 2008

She wasn’t kidding


While she is no longer accident free, she did in fact potty train herself. Annika has now had two accidents. Both her accidents happened on two separate play dates…. I guess we were both a little distracted. I am still considering this a HUGE success. I guess you could say we have a lot to learn and some details to work out, especially when it comes to using the restroom in public. Boys are so much easier when it comes to public restrooms. Girls, not so much. Needless to say we have a portable potty in the car at ALL times now. I know there is a lot more to come but so far this potty training process has not had a moment of frustration and it has honestly kept me smiling. While at home Annika just goes when she sees fit, she needs no prompting and no help until it is time to wipe (is this too much information?). I promise the story is pretty cute, or at least I think it is. I have asked her not to stand up after going potty until she asks me, to please wipe. But for three days our conversation went more like this:

Me: Annika are you all done?

Annika: YEEES!!

Me: What do you say then?

Annika: May I please be excused from the table?

Me: Close, but how about, Mom can you please wipe?

Annika: Oh yeah, please wipe?

Tonight right before bed she did not need any reminder and I found myself almost wishing that she asked to be excused from the table. I mean really it worked, I knew what she meant. WHY? WHY, did I find the need to correct her?

Also…as her Mom I am totally allowed to say this and it should not be weird or “R” rated but man her little bottom is SUPER cute in big girl underwear. SUPER CUTE!! All her clothes fit differently and some of her pants fall right off her now. I already cleaned out her onesies. It was a bit of a sentimental moment for me. No more onesies in our house? Seriously? Someone PLEASE bring a baby over for a visit. PLEASE. While it might not seem like it at this moment I am slowly but surely learning to embrace the fact that Annika and Jacob are growing up. You do not think it is going to happen to you but I am here to tell you that it will. Your kids will also grow! YES, they will! And like me there will come a day when you are embracing it, when you are looking forward to the new adventures that having older kids will bring. Do not get me wrong, the emotional nostalgic side of me will still shed tears and continually reminisce, and ask them to slow down. But, if the last three years are any indication of the years to come, I will continue to love them more each day I have with them!

Annika wearing Aunt Sarah's fancy new shoes! Thanks Aunt Sarah for sharing!

5 comments:

erika said...

I am so proud of her! What a big girl. I can't believe it. Maybe you need some of your 18 month pants back to fit on her little bottom? Let me know:)

And I know Tegan isn't a baby, but can she come over so some of Annika's potty trainingness will rub off on her?? But really, like you said, I do need to just savor this time because I will miss it later. But I won't miss spending so much money on diapers.

Krista said...

I will not miss spending money on diapers either. I put one on her at night and nap so I might need to buy one more box. Who knows though....this morning she woke up super early, wanted out of her crib, went potty and her diaper was almost completely dry. It was like she started to go but stopped herself. If she wants to be dry at night I am going to need to get her a big girl bed! Saying good bye to the crib will be SUPER hard:(

Tegan can come over anytime. We would love to have you and I am sure Annika would be more than happy to show her the ropes. All these poor girls know is standing while they pee....Annika will be all "Tegee trust me this doesn't work for us, I already tried it"! She did by the way. How did I not blog that? Consider it blogged!

Anonymous said...

May I be excused from the table...SO stinkin' funny. I think I tell Leah not to get any bigger at least once a week and she always gets upset, as if by me saying it, it will actually happen and all she wants to do is be a grown up so she can buy me coffee. At least I taught her the important things in life.

Elizabeth said...

Sarah you are so cute.
Annika too. She does not cease to amaze me with how fast she is growing up.

Clark Family said...

No way!!! How stoked are you???? What a treat that it was really that easy :) Hooray!!! It was so fun hanging out with you on our date night :) Love ya friend ;)