Saturday, September 12, 2009

Just role with it

Check out this kid……able to role with most things that come his way. This summer has been awesome. So much growth, so many sweet memories and so many hours spent on wheels. If he is not forced in the stroller (for some walks), he is on his bike, rollerblades or a skateboard (which we do not even own). If you know me, which I know you do, I am what most might consider a tab bit nervous. Yep, I am one of those Moms. You know the one who follows a little to close in hopes of preventing a fall. The one that has trouble letting them figure it out the hard way, especially when the hard way could mean even the slightest injury. Just so you know God has really worked on it with me and for the most part I am able to stand back and watch but, yes there is a “but”, it does not mean I am not screaming inside, SCREAMING. So imagine how life changed for me when my, sit on the side lines and soak it all in kid, decided he was ALL in, ALL IN! Yep, he is a bit cautious but for the most part, he goes for it.

This summer on one of our walks we found a bike someone was throwing away. It had flat tires but that did not stop us from snatching it seconds before the trash man did. What a blessing that was. Jacob now has a BIG boy bike and while we thought he was still a bit too short, he had other plans. He got on and after some fumbling he took off. No worries you say, he has been riding on two wheels for a while. Do you know how much faster this kid can go when his bike has bigger wheels? Do YOU? Well FAST! VERY FAST! I can no longer jog beside him to keep up or help him steer. Nope. So when he is headed straight for the cement bench at the park and I know he is going to clip it with his knee because he is cutting it too close, there is nothing I can do. Nothing but pick him up off the ground and comfort him. I am sure if that was the end of this story you would be happy but friends there is more. Wait, he was fine by the way…..it was a pretty bad one, he cried hard and through his tears he looked at David and I and said “I think I am ready to try again”. Off he road while blood still dripped of his knee. Here we go, I will make this quick. Apparently just learning to master the steering and balancing on a bike is not enough for this one. For two months now he has been practicing standing and going off curbs. We drew the line when he wanted to put his feet on the handle bars. I am just thankful he has a Dad who can take him to the industrial area close to our house, yep, then I do not have to watch. I can stay home and attempt hula hooping and jump roping with a little girl who is still, thankfully, not interested in taking on extreme toddler sports.





As for skateboarding, soon we will be investing in more knee and elbow pads. Nuff said!

4 comments:

erika said...

Oh my gosh, I cannot believe it! I would never be able to stay calm, inside or out! What a tough, big kid! That is so awesome!!

Elizabeth said...

He and Kai would have a ball together. Wish they could:(

Jennie said...

What the heck? Who taught him to do that??? Trey has had his skateboard for a year and still rides it while sitting on his butt.

Modern Crush said...

Just wait 15 years, maybe we will see him on TV! Jacob=Awesomeness